The Alchemist’s Lab Coat
Alchemists participate in their laboratory operations. Unlike other scientists, such as chemists who strive for objectivity and separation from their work, alchemists prepare themselves to experience the same processes they initiate and apply to the materials in their laboratory.
In order to prepare for work in their laboratory, alchemists put on a lab coat, a necessary and very important first step. This coat does not look like other coats or capes because it exists as a state of mind. Alchemical meditations allow you to wear this lab coat.
Like other types of meditation techniques, relaxation must first be achieved. Many progressive relaxation techniques can be used. This one comes from a friend and practicing alchemist, Dennis William Hauck. Use it, experience it and learn it. When you can relax yourself quickly and easily, other alchemical meditations that will be shared here will bring you into the laboratory.
- Mentally bring your awareness to and then consciously relax each part of your body, progressively, from the feet all the way to your head. Your breath should be full and relaxed.
- As you move up the body, tighten each muscle group and keep it tightened for 15 to 20 seconds; then relax slowly and notice the difference between tension and relaxation.
- To begin the progressive relaxation, lie or sit in a comfortable position, close your eyes and take several slow, deep breaths.
- Then bring your awareness to your right leg. Inhale deeply and begin tensing the foot and leg. Tense up as tight as you can. Exhale and let the leg relax.
- Repeat the same for the left leg and foot. Next, tighten and relax the thighs and buttocks, and feel the warm relaxation move up into your back and stomach. Inhale and fill the abdomen with air. Hold and then exhale fully out of the mouth.
- Take another deep breath and relax the chest and throat. Try not to think about anything but the feeling of progressive relaxation. Thought will cause sub-vocalizations that will tense up the throat.
- Next, tense your arm and make your hand into a fist. Tense up and hold. Exhale and relax the arm.
- Repeat with the left arm.
- Bring your shoulder blades together in back. Squeeze tightly and release.
- Bring both shoulders up to your ears. Hold and then exhale and let them down.
- Now push your shoulders downward. Hold and release.
- Tighten the facial muscles in a grimace. Squeeze tightly, then exhale and release tension.
- Relax the jaws and tongue. Let go of all control of them.
- Roll the head gently from side to side.
- Finally, let the forehead and scalp muscles completely relax.
The more you practice this meditation, the more you will realize you can quickly and easily reach the desired state of complete relaxation without having to tense and relax each of the muscle groups. You will discover that you can create the heavy, relaxed feelings and sensations in your muscles and body by simply moving your focused attention from your feet to your head.
This will become the way you put on your alchemist’s lab coat.